VACANCY: ESTRO SCHOOL DIRECTOR
The ESTRO School of Radiotherapy and Oncology (http://www.estro.org/school)
The ESTRO School of Radiotherapy and Oncology aims to improve, professionalise and standardise knowledge and practice in radiation oncology and associated professions in Europe and beyond.
The ESTRO School fulfills the mission of ESTRO in the field of education and contributes to the implementation of the Society’s vision by offering a comprehensive and diversified programme of educational activities allowing professionals worldwide to acquire the knowledge, skills and competencies to understand and review current developments in the field and to deliver high quality treatment and care.
ESTRO has organized educational activities since 1984. In 2005, ESTRO created the ESTRO School in order to consolidate its wide range of CME activities, consisting nowadays of:
- Annual live teaching courses covering basic and continuing medical educational needs for all professionals working in the field of (radiation) oncology – currently the School organizes 35 live course each year, of which 80% are held in Europe and 20% worldwide
- Pre-meeting teaching courses, workshops, teaching lectures and multidisciplinary tumour board sessions during congresses
- Blended learning activities and tools
- Hands-on competencies through a mobility grants programme
- Developing and updating the European Core Curricula to harmonise the training of radiation oncology professionals in Europe
Up to now the ESTRO School has organised almost 400 live courses for more than 35.000 participants. The School has a faculty of more than 200 teachers, renowned international experts, and 45-50 course directors. The ESTRO School is governed by the ESTRO Educational Council which defines the strategy for education within the frame of overall ESTRO strategy , delegates the tasks needed to implement this strategy and follows up to ensure appropriate implementation. The Educational Council oversees the daily management of the School by the ESTRO staff, monitors the budget of the School and maintains relations with other oncology (related) societies regarding education (collaboration, joint/endorsed activities).
As ESTRO School Director and Chair of the ESTRO Educational Council, your responsibilities will include the following:
- You will build on the success of the former Chair and the ESTRO COO who led the School through a period of growth and improvement to become a world-class School for training and education in (radiation) oncology
- You will be Chair of the ESTRO Education Council and will act as the School Director
- Appointed by the Board, you will sit ex officio on the Board & be accountable to the Board
- You will lead the development of a strategic & operational plan for the School which incorporates goals and objectives that work in the strategic direction of ESTRO
- You will lead the ESTRO Educational Council and oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the School, lead the assessment of its programmes and coach and motivate the ESTRO teaching faculty and the ESTRO office School Staff.
- You will be responsible for the consistent execution and further development of the current activities of the School according to the ESTRO Core Curricula and for the growth of the School and the development of the School’s international policy.
- You will pursue your activities in close cooperation with the administrative and paedagogic Director of the ESTRO School (to be appointed in parallel)
Profile and requirements:
- A strong international profile based on academic achievement and educational engagement supported by scientific research
- Evidence of commitment to continuing professional education/development
- A good understanding of the educational environment in which the ESTRO School operates and a strong vision for the future
- A good track record of leadership and management
- Ability to engage successfully with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Feeling at ease working in the non-profit sector with volunteers
- Strong communication, networking, presentational and interpersonal skills
- Fluent in English (spoken and written)
- Availability to serve as Director for min 6 years ; the post is renewable
- The candidate should be a full ESTRO member
- Time engagement: min 50 days/year – volunteer job with facilitation (reimbursement of time spent out of home department) and expenses
What ESTRO offers:
- An engagement in a stimulating and dynamic international environment
- An exciting opportunity to lead a unique institution with a very strong reputation in education and training in oncology
- The possibility of working with experienced specialists who are eager to share their expertise with students and participants from all over Europe and beyond
- Please read the attached interview with Prof Richard Poetter, current ESTRO School Chair
Please send your application (CV and a letter explaining your interest in the position) no later than 29 May 2015 to Christine Verfaillie – ESTRO COO – email@example.com